Continuing Education & CAUs
Accruing the Certification Renewal Requirements
Certificants must accrue at least 36 units during their renewal cycle. Units can be obtained through a combination of competency assessment units (CAUs) and professional development units (PDUs).
Updates are coming to the Certification Renewal Activities Chart in 2024. If you are due to renew in 2024 or after, review the accepted activity types.
Renewing prior to 2024, you can review the current activities chart.
How to Convert Units
Continuing Education Units (CEU) and contact hours can be converted into Professional Development Units (PDU) as described below. Certificants can convert CEU to PDU using the PDU Calculator available through their MyNBCOT account under Renewal Log.
- 1 contact hour (not to include meals or breaks) = 1 PDU
- 1 clock hour (not to include meals or breaks) = 1 PDU
- 0.1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) = 1 PDU
- One contact hour earned through successful completion of education (workshops, seminars, online courses, or conferences) with an assessment component at the end of the program (scored test, project, paper) provided by AOTA; AOTA approved providers; IACET-authorized providers; or regionally accredited colleges or universities = 1.25 PDU
- 1 Competency Assessment Unit (CAU) = 1 Contact Hour or 1 PDU
NBCOT adheres to the CEU definition defined by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) of 1 CEU = 10 Contact Hours.